The Short Answer is:
Puppy development is a gradual process so sometimes puppies don’t eat as much as they used to. Generally though they don’t go too long without getting some form of food into their system. Due to the fact that they are still very young and growing they need all the food they can get. In other words skipping a meal is not good skipping two is even worse and going a whole day without food indicates something is very wrong.
In this research you will know the answer to the query “Why Is My French Bulldog Puppy Not Eating?“.
- Why is my Frenchie puppy not eating? 6 Possible Reasons
- What do I do if my Frenchie puppy doesn’t want to eat?
- When should I worry about my French Bulldog puppy not eating?
- How long can a puppy go without eating?
- What should I feed my French Bulldog with no appetite?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Puppy Not Eating? (Watch Video)
In a previous post I wrote about skinny French Bulldogs whereas this post looks in more depth at concerns about Frenchie puppies that aren’t eating.
It is very usual for a healthy dog to reject his meals or deliberately refuse to eat. French bulldog puppies eat their meals with gusto and clear their plates quickly.
Even when you try to get your Frenchie pup to eat if he suddenly refuses or does not seem interested in his food it can be extremely distressing. Skipping a meal may be a result of not being hungry but skipping two consecutive meals and a third indicates a serious problem.
Its not a good idea to let puppies go without food for an extended period of time as their bodies cannot sustain themselves without adequate calorie intake. When a French bulldog pup refuses to eat despite your efforts it can be very frustrating and if this is how you feel thats perfectly okay. Continue reading to learn why this is happening.
Why is my Frenchie puppy not eating? 6 Possible Reasons
Getting regular and healthy meals is very important for a growing dog and puppies need to eat at least three times a day to maintain energy levels and to get all the nutrients and calories their bodies need to function.
Puppies are still in different stages of growth and development so skipping meals needlessly becomes very distressing as it can expose the puppy to serious health problems or even affect his growth rate. Occasionally refusing to eat and skipping meals can be fatal. A healthy puppy would rather go hungry rather than eat so why would it refuse to eat?
The following are possible reasons why your Frenchie pup is rejecting his meals.
- The stress of being in an unfamiliar environment may cause your puppy to refuse to eat if he was just brought home. In his new home he may be anxious and uncomfortable and will need time to adjust and relax.
- Its possible hes suffering on the inside. It is possible that his loss of appetite is due to a serious medical condition upset stomach or anorexia.
- Dental disease can also cause discomfort or pain in the mouth resulting in a refusal to eat.
- Perhaps your puppy is taking medication or has just been vaccinated which could explain the problem.
- Your pup might be getting too many treats between meals which means that he does not have room for his food.
- When you recently changed your pups food brand his refusal to eat maybe because he does not like the new food either because it smells different or its not very tasty.
What do I do if my Frenchie puppy doesn’t want to eat?
Dogs can survive quite a while without eating because they have a good supply of body fat as well as some glycogen stored up in their body which their liver converts into glucose when they need it. Puppy development however is different. Because they do not have enough glucose stored up in their bodies any form of starvation can be very dangerous.
Here are some remedies you can try if your Frenchie puppy starts rejecting his meals:
- A little warm chicken broth can be added to dry kibble or canned food to make it tastier for your pup. The broth should not contain any of these ingredients: onion garlic chives. Spices like these are harmful to puppies because they can destroy their red blood cells.
- Add bone broth protein powder to water and mix it with your pups food to make it tastier and stimulate his appetite.
- Rather than only giving your pup dry kibble try mixing it with canned food.
- Prepare a simple dish of boiled rice garnished with shredded boneless chicken breast. If you do not want the offending spices you can add a little chicken broth.
- Slices of pumpkin and apples can be added to your pets food. He may also be served plain cottage cheese or plain yogurt with his regular meal. Xylitol can be very dangerous for dogs so make sure the yogurt does not contain it.
- Make mealtimes more fun and stimulating for your pup by changing the routine. Interactive meal toys can do this.
- Ensure your pup does not get too many treats before mealtime and reduce the amount you give him.
It is imperative that you take your puppy to the vet immediately if he continues to refuse whatever you prepare for him. Donot force your pup to eat something he does not want to eat by starving him. Your vet can come up with an alternative diet plan for your pup. Additionally if your puppy has a medical condition your veterinarian will determine the exact problem and deal with it accordingly.
When should I worry about my French Bulldog puppy not eating?
When your Frenchie puppy misses a couple of meals but does not show any other signs of illness such as vomiting coughing diarrhea and low energy then you do not need to be concerned.
The same goes for if your French bulldog puppy goes a day without eating but has plenty of treats.
If your pup does not eat for an entire day but starts eating the next day as if nothing happened theres no need to worry. The problem is that when your dog misses his meals for a few more days even treats would not satisfy him and you are sure that he isnot getting food from somewhere else. When he just does not eat at all and becomes extremely lethargic you need to take him to the vet.
It is even more serious when the loss of appetite is accompanied by other symptoms like vomiting diarrhea fever and lethargy in which case you need to take your little Frenchie to the vet for an examination to determine what may be the problem.
How long can a puppy go without eating?
Healthy dogs can go two or three days without eating which is generally safe. There are some adult dogs of certain breed types who can go without food for a week or even five days. It is possible for puppies to go without food for up to two days but this is not healthy and should never be allowed.
For an adult dog it may not be a very serious issue but it is not healthy for a puppy to go without food for long periods of time. Puppies need to be fed at least three times per day and food is very important for growing dogs. By doing so your pups body will be able to get all the calories and nutrients it needs for proper function and development.
They require frequent and regular small meals because their digestive tract needs enough time to extract nutrients from food. Therefore your pup should eat small regular meals so that he gets all the nutrients his body needs.
Compared with adult dogs small dogs are more likely to suffer from hypoglycemia if they skip meals. Do not let your puppy go more than a day without food and if he refuses to eat despite all your efforts take him to the vet.
What should I feed my French Bulldog with no appetite?
A dog with no appetite whether its due to an upset stomach an illness or anything else can be difficult to get to eat. Nevertheless a bland diet is gentle on your pups digestive system plus it will keep your pups strength and may even boost his appetite. Here are a few suggestions for feeding a Frenchie who is feeling under the weather or does not want to eat.
Baby Food: Its easy for puppies to swallow and digest so they can easily eat this. Its gentle on their digestion. Your pup should be fed stage II baby food that contains turkey chicken lamb etc. but that does not contain any spices like onions and garlic.
Bone Broth: You can prepare this by boiling a lot of bones with marrow like chickens or turkeys. Place these bones in a medium-sized pot and cover them with water. Boil on low heat for about 20 to 24 hours. Place the broth in the refrigerator to cool before serving your puppy. It is also possible to freeze the broth into cubes so that your puppy can eat it.
White Rice and Shredded Chicken: Simple foods like plain boiled white rice and small pieces of boneless chicken are mild on a dogs stomach. Dogs with no appetite or upset stomachs can benefit from them as they are easily digestible. Preparing this meal should be as bland as possible avoiding seasonings oils butter and anything else that may irritate the dogs stomach. A plain bowl of white rice and boiled chicken is shredded or cut into small pieces.
Sweet potatoes and pumpkin: Pumpkins and sweet potatoes are high in fiber and contain a number of vitamins and minerals that your pet needs. You should cook them unseasoned and unsalted before serving your dog so they can benefit from their digestive system.
Puppy development is a gradual process so sometimes puppies do not eat as much as they used to. Generally though they do not go too long without getting some form of food into their system.
Due to the fact that they are still very young and growing they need all the food they can get. In other words skipping a meal is not good skipping two is even worse and going a whole day without food indicates something is very wrong.
Frenchie pups who go an entire day without eating anything and still are not interested in eating on the second day are in need of a vet checkup even with homemade dog meals and a bland diet.
If you want to read more about dog health tips read here: Dog Health Tips and Tricks.