The Short Answer is:
Fabuloso’s multi-purpose scented cleaners are generally safe to use around dogs and your dog won’t be harmed unless s/he ingests large quantities. It is important to note that some Fabuloso products may contain active ingredients that are harmful to your dog. Hydrogen peroxide and bleach come to mind as examples.
The purpose of this research is to explain “Is Fabuloso safe for dogs?“.
- What is Fabuloso?
- What are the active ingredients in Fabuloso?
- Is Fabuloso safe for dogs?
- Can I use Fabuloso to clean my dog’s body?
- Which ingredients should I look out for when picking a cleaning product or disinfectant?
- How can I use Fabuloso around my dogs?
- Does Fabuloso disinfect?
- Which common cleaning products can harm my dog?
- Which natural cleaning products can I use that isn’t harmful to my dog?
- My dog drank Fabuloso what should I do?
- What are the symptoms that there might be something wrong with my dog?
- Is Fabuloso safe for dogs? (Watch Video)
Most houses are well stocked with cleaning supplies. You know how important it is to have a good aromatic cleaner in your house if you have a dog.
With the pandemic going on these days you definitely need a good cleaner to disinfect your house yourself and your dog (especially after going for walks together).
Despite this the majority of household cleaners can often be toxic to humans as well as dogs. In contrast dogs do not know any better than to eat them.
As a pet owner which household cleaners can you rely on? What are the ones you should avoid using?
In todays research we’ll answer these questions (and more). We’ll begin by discussing Fabuloso.
What is Fabuloso?
If you havenot heard of it Fabuloso is a brand owned by Colgate-Palmolive that produces multi-purpose cleaners.
Its cleaners are known for their aromatic scents which are very useful for dog owners who make messes around the house.
What are the active ingredients in Fabuloso?
Among Fabulosos products you might find a variety of active ingredients. The most common ones include:
- Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate
- C9–11 Pareth-8
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Using any of these ingredients around your dog is safe. The main cleaning agent here is Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate which isnot harmful to you or your pet in small quantities.
The secondary cleaning agent is C9–11 Pareth-8. It has high surface activity so it is ideal for use on (and cleaning) hard surfaces.
In addition Sodium Lareth Sulfate is used as a surfactant which means that it reduces the surface tension between the ingredients in Fabuloso.
Is Fabuloso safe for dogs?
Fabulosos multi-purpose scented cleaners are generally safe to use around dogs and your dog would not be harmed unless s/he ingests large quantities.
It is important to note that some Fabuloso products may contain active ingredients that are harmful to your dog. Hydrogen peroxide and bleach come to mind as examples.
If you intend to use Fabuloso around your dog make sure that it does not contain these ingredients.
Can I use Fabuloso to clean my dog’s body?
Sadly no. It may smell good but it isnot designed to be applied directly to your pets body (or yours). Fabulous products should only be used on surfaces for which they were designed.
Which ingredients should I look out for when picking a cleaning product or disinfectant?
The majority of cleaning products and disinfectants on the market contain the following products that are harmful to pets:
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Ethyl Glycol
Additionally you should not use rubbing alcohol hydrogen peroxide or tea tree oil to clean your dogs open wounds if he or she is injured (or sick).
Get in touch with your vet right away so they can provide you with professional advice.
How can I use Fabuloso around my dogs?
The products of Fabuloso essentially fall into two categories:
- Bleach hydrogen peroxide or other harmful chemicals should not be used in these products.
- Products containing harmful substances should be avoided.
The first type of product you can use without too much concern. Your dog would not suffer any harm from them. You should still make sure that you do not leave the bottle lying around your dog since even if s/he ingests large amounts of these products they can still be harmful.
Using the 2nd type on your dog is not recommended. Remove your dog first from the area if you need to use them.
In case you are not sure which type of Fabuloso products you currently have in your home read the product label. Compare the active ingredients with the list of harmful active ingredients above.
Does Fabuloso disinfect?
These days disinfection is of the utmost importance. With the recent events you want a disinfectant product that is safe for your dog and can disinfect surfaces.
It is true that Fabuloso disinfects your surfaces. Nonetheless you should never use Fabuloso directly on your dogs body or yours for disinfection.
Which common cleaning products can harm my dog?
Although Fabuloso generally is safe we have found that a surprising number of cleaning products we use around the house contain harmful ingredients.
Check out some of the most common household products that can harm your dog.
- Floor cleaners: You should not give your dog Pine-Sol Lysol or Mr. Clean. Although these products dry their vapors linger in the air and can be harmful to your dog.
- Bathroom cleaners: The bathroom cleaners are particularly harsh because they are even more corrosive than floor cleaners. In this category you can find products that are harmful to your dogs such as Clorox and Scrubbing Bubbles.
- All-purpose cleaners: Among the worst offenders in this category are Mr. Clean and Cloroxs Formula 409.
- Carpet cleaners: In addition they leave fumes in your carpet for a long time after they have been used. Its important to make sure the carpet cleaner you use is safe for your pets before you begin using it.
- Drain openers: The toxic fumes they emit are still present long after they have been discarded.
- Laundry detergents: Tide and Cheer laundry detergents leave residue on your clothing which can be harmful to your dogs.
The following list is by no means comprehensive. We just wanted to show you that some of the most common cleaning products you use every day can harm your beloved pet.
Please ensure that any new cleaning products you use would not harm your pets before introducing them into your household.
Which natural cleaning products can I use that isn’t harmful to my dog?
There are a number of natural ingredients in your house that can be used to make homemade cleaning products that are safe for your dog.
Here are a few to consider.
Pets and carpets can be cleaned with baking soda. Getting rid of bad odors is made easier by using them.
You can clean surfaces and even your dogs toys with vinegar and water instead of market cleaners.
Another good combination to clean surfaces is lemon juice and water. It is especially effective on glass surfaces such as windows and tables.
It is also very useful to mix lemon juice with water for cleaning your dogs fur. To remove stains from your dogs fur mix lemon juice with baking soda and use the mixture.
Make a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to remove urine vomit and poop stains. Pour the mixture directly over the baking soda to remixture on top of
Make sure that you use 3% hydrogen peroxide as more concentrated solutions can be harmful to your dog.
My dog drank Fabuloso what should I do?
Heres what you should do if your dog shows any of the above symptoms or you suspect s/he has eaten something toxic:
- Get your dog out of the area as soon as possible. Make sure there are no other pets or children in the vicinity and then cordon off the area.
- Make sure you get a sample of the substance that caused the symptoms. Your vet will need this sample to determine what your dog consumed.
- Do not attempt any home remedies under any circumstances. This includes using hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting in your dog. Hydrogen peroxide reacts with bleach and other toxic substances and makes things much worse.
- Please contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at +1-855-764-7661 if you see any of the symptoms in this section. Follow the instructions they give you.
What are the symptoms that there might be something wrong with my dog?
When your dog consumes something toxic s/he may show the following symptoms:
- Trouble breathing
- Skin irritation
- Eye inflammation
- Drooling excessively
- Walking/standing with balance issues
The following list is by no means exhaustive. It should not be taken as comprehensive.
This research looked at whether Fabuloso is harmful or not as well as which harmful ingredients you should look for when purchasing a cleaning product. Following are a few highlights from the article:
Brilliant is a brand of multi-purpose cleaners owned by Colgate-Palmolive.
Almost all of Fabulosos products are safe to use around your dog. Nevertheless you should make sure that the product you buy does not contain harmful ingredients.
Among the most harmful ingredients in household cleaners are chlorine/bleach ammonia hydrogen peroxide glycol ethers formaldehyde and phthalates.
Pine-Sol Lysol Mr. Clean Clorox Scrubbing Bubbles Tide and Cheer are some of the most popular cleaning products that contain harmful ingredients.
Poisoning symptoms include vomiting diarrhea labored breathing irritated skin inflammation around the eyes excessive drooling balance issues when standing/walking and nosebleeds.
You should remove your dog from the toxic area right away take a sample of the toxic product and contact your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline at +1-855-764-7661 if you suspect your dog has consumed something toxic.
I think thats all for today. We hope you gained some valuable insights into Fabuloso and other cleaning products you use in your household.
Please let us know if there is a topic you’d like covered. Have a great day!
If you want to read more about dog health tips read here: Dog Health Tips and Tricks.