Help! My Dog Ate Kinetic Sand

Help! My Dog Ate Kinetic Sand

Last Updated: August 18, 2023
correct answerThe Short Answer is:

you should first try to gauge how much your dog has eaten. This way, you know how much information to give your vet when you call. Based on your dog’s weight, your vet will be able to tell you about the risk. Depending on how long has passed, your vet might instruct you to induce vomiting. Never try this at home without your vet’s permission. The vet may ask you to bring your dog in for an x-ray if it has been too long since your dog ate the sand and it’s already inside their intestines.

In this article you will know the answer to the query “Help! My Dog Ate Kinetic Sand“.

Johnnys kinetic sand just got eaten by the dog?

Help! My Dog Ate Kinetic Sand

When you went to the kitchen to prepare lunch you left your child to play with his kinetic sand. Your child starts laughing and you look over to see the dog eating the sand right out of Johnnys hand.

For a moment you think its cute and smile at the two of them. Your dog might not be able to handle the kinetic sand very well.

You may have been in a situation like this before or you may be experiencing one now.

This article will provide you with useful information to help you through this dog situation.

In a situation like this its common to have a first question.

What is kinetic sand?

Kinetic sand is sand that has been modified to serve a childs best interests. A childs sensory development is stimulated by the bright colors and wet texture. It can also promote physical development such as motor skills when a child interacts with sand. Fine sand and dimethicone make up kinetic sand. Most beauty products contain dimethicone which is a type of silicone. 

What is the process? Kinetic sand is “togetherness created by movement and energy”.

When pressure is applied the sand sticks together. Adding a couple of drops of water will reactivate it if it becomes dry.

How is kinetic sand different from normal sand?

A silicone coating has been applied to Kinetic Sand so that it feels wet. Just like beach sand after it has been wet. Kinetic sand has a silicone coating that is soft and smooth so its much softer than regular sand. We will discuss making your own kinetic sand in a bit but we can also make it from regular sand at home.

The silicon coating on kinetic sand makes it different from regular sand. Playing with sand in this manner will protect the sand and make it more durable.

What ingredients or chemicals does it contain?

Kinetic sand contains finely ground up sand silicone and is coated with either silicone oil or olive oil. PDMS is a type of silicone thats used. Its dimethicone. Many different products are made from dimethicone an organic silicon-based polymer. Primer is one of those products. PDMS is also found in lubricants and conditioners. Dimethicone creates a protective layer on the skin and locks in moisture. 

Contrary to popular belief silicone is actually a type of plastic because its a rubber-based material. Plastics are made up of polymer carbon and hydrogen and silicon is made up of silicon oxygen and hydrocarbon.

Which ingredients are toxic or poisonous?

 Kinetic Sand offers a variety of products to suit its customers. They include vanilla cupcake flavor cherry fizz flavor chocolate swirl flavor sour apple flavor beach sand flavor and zen garden flavor. All of these types of kinetic sand are non-toxic however digesting kinetic sand in large quantities can be harmful. For this reason kinetic sand is not recommended for children under 18 months of age.

A homemade kinetic sand can also be made with simple ingredients right at home. Later on in this article we will discuss how to do this.

Is it dangerous for your dog to eat kinetic sand?

Because the sand contains silicon if a dog consumes it it may remain in their stomach for long periods of time before passing or it may get stuck in their intestines. Their system normally handles a small amount without any problems. In some cases a dog that eats a large amount of kinetic sand might have to undergo surgery to remove it. 

When your dog consumes kinetic sand it is important to determine how much they have consumed. In most cases the container that the sand comes in will indicate how much sand you started with. You can then see the difference between whats left and the container amount to gauge the difference.

What should you do if your dog eats kinetic sand?

As we discussed in the previous section you should first try to gauge how much your dog has eaten. This way you know how much information to give your vet when you call. Based on your dogs weight your vet will be able to tell you about the risk. Depending on how long has passed your vet might instruct you to induce vomiting. Never try this at home without your vets permission. The vet may ask you to bring your dog in for an x-ray if it has been too long since your dog ate the sand and its already inside their intestines. 

When your dog eats kinetic sand but you are not sure how much they consumed or think it was not a large amount after calling your vet look for signs and symptoms such as vomiting watery stool abdominal pain constipation lethargy loss of appetite and dehydration.

Is DIY kinetic sand safer?

You can make kinetic sand at home in a variety of ways. There are several ways to do this including sand cornstarch and oil. Even dog food contains these ingredients which are completely harmless to dogs. On the other hand you can make DIY soap with the same ingredients but they include dish soap for a nice scent. Dogs can be poisoned by dish soap. In it is an ingredient called sodium hydroxide also called lye. When ingested in large quantities hydroxides have a high alkaline content which can burn a dogs mouth esophagus and stomach. 

DIY kinetic sand formulated with silicon oil is another type of kinetic sand. If ingested any type of oil can cause your dog to have an upset stomach or worse. Moreover silicon does not absorb into the body and is said to block blood vessels. 

Is play dough any safer than kinetic sand?

Flour food coloring salt oil and water are all ingredients that go into making play dough. In addition play dough can be toxic for dogs. Play dough containing a lot of salt can cause dogs to suffer from salt poisoning. In the worst cases salt poisoning can result in kidney failure a coma and death. Both kinetic sand and play dough are not safe for your dog to eat in large quantities. The amount you should give your dog depends on their size.

If your dog eats play dough call your veterinarian right away and look out for signs and symptoms like vomiting diarrhea water retention seizure increased thirst and tremors.

Considering the above evidence kinetic sand is not safe for your dog to eat especially if they eat a large amount. Whenever this occurs contact your veterinarian as soon as possible then keep a close eye on your dog for symptoms. Although these things happen you can prevent them from occurring by securing your childs kinetic sand somewhere the dog cannot get to it. Furthermore if your child is playing with kinetic sand ensure that they are in an area that a dog cannot get to or secure a dog in a place where it cannot get close to the sand.

Your child might play with something toxic for your dog if your child is playing with it. Make sure that you keep your child and dog apart during this time. You could save your dogs life or at the very least save yourself from an expensive trip to the veterinarian. If such an event occurs remain calm and follow the steps described in this article.

Share on:
Amanda Dogs Trainer

Amanda (Author)

With over a decade of experience, Amanda is a distinguished dog trainer. Her expertise in canine behavior has transformed countless lives, fostering harmonious human-canine connections. Through compassionate and personalized approaches, she empowers owners to understand and connect with their furry companions, creating a legacy of joyful tails and transformed lives.

Osvaldo Maciel Dogs Trainer

Osvaldo Maciel (Content Reviewer)

Osvaldo Maciel, a stalwart in the field with 14 years of experience, is a revered dog trainer. His journey is defined by a profound understanding of canine behavior, shaping unbreakable human-canine bonds. Osvaldo guides owners to connect with their beloved pets, leaving an indelible mark of happiness and transformation. His legacy shines through the countless lives he has touched.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *