The Short Answer is:
Despite all the talk about how tasty pandan is it’s also safe for dogs and does not appear on the ASPCA’s list of toxic plants.
In this research you will know the answer to the query “Can Dogs Eat Pandan?“.
- What is pandan and where does it come from?
- What food items can be made with pandan?
- What is the nutrition in pandan?
- Is pandan toxic to dogs?
- Can dogs eat pandan cake?
- What are some of the best herbs to give dogs?
- Leaves and herbs commonly used in cooking that are toxic to dogs
- Can dogs eat pandan leaves?
- Can Dogs Eat Pandan? (Watch Video)
There has been a rise in interest in pandan aka pandanus amaryllifolius or screwpine because of its culinary versatility and purported health benefits.
As a result it will be on our tables a lot more often. There are so many things we can make with pandan that its likely that we’ll end up giving it to our dogs as a snack.
Its probably going to be a hit with our dogs.
Are dogs able to eat pandan?
What is pandan and where does it come from?
For centuries pandan which originated in Southeast Asia has been used to flavor Southeast Asian and Asian cuisine.
The leaves of this shrub or tree are often sold frozen or fresh and are often powdered boiled juiced or used as a wrap for certain dishes. Pandan can also produce a fibrous fruit that looks like a reddish-orange pinecone/pineapple hybrid. You can eat this fruit raw or make it into a paste.
What food items can be made with pandan?
There are so many things you can make with pandan.
When powdered or ground the leaves are often used to add a kind of vanilla/coconut flavor to bread chiffon cakes waffles and other baked goods.
Additionally it gets added to rice curries alcohol and so much more. Nasi Lemak a famous Malaysian dish is made by adding pandan leaf extract to steamed rice and coconut milk.
Already sounds good does not it?
What is the nutrition in pandan?
The popularity of pandan is not just due to its taste. It also contains a lot of nutrients!
We produce vitamin A from beta carotene which is found in pandan leaves and fruit. Additionally pandan contains high levels of iron and fiber making it among rare plants.
In addition to potassium the leaves contain antioxidants such as flavonoids phenolic compounds vitamin E and ascorbic acid. It is important to remember essential oils glycosides alkaloids tannins and isoprene esters.
Theres something for everyone in Pandan!
Is pandan toxic to dogs?
I have good news. Despite all the talk about how tasty pandan is its also safe for dogs and does not appear on the ASPCAs list of toxic plants.
Will pandan have any positive or negative side effects if ingested by a dog?
Dogs are not known to be affected by pandan specifically. We can learn a bit about pandans effects from what we know about its effects on people.
The herb pandan is known for its ability to alleviate a broad range of ailments in ayurvedic medicine. Aside from arthritis and inflammation it may also help with high blood sugar oral health constipation cold and flu-like symptoms as well as skincare.
Its downside is that the fruit is a bit high in sugar and can act as a mild laxative. Pandan is not advised to be consumed regularly or in excess by people with kidney problems because it may upset the stomach cause nausea or damage the kidneys.
Moderation is essential in most things. You should not give your dog pandan products unless as a snack as pandan is not known to be included in any dog food.
That sounds amazing. Lets get to eating now.
Are there any other ingredients in those snacks?
Can dogs eat pandan cake?
This pandan chiffon cake recipe includes:
Pandan juice or essence
Cream of tartar
Here are some potential problem ingredients:
- Every time we give our dogs flour it is important to note how much they get. Despite being included in many dog snacks it can cause digestive problems for dogs that have digestive problems. Beware of bloating signs of inflammatory bowel disease (such as flatulence or pain) or an intolerance to gluten.
Small amounts would not harm you however.
- Similarly your dog is safe with low levels of salt. If a dog has kidney liver or heart problems its diet should be low in sodium.
- Some people online are really freaked out about baking powder. It is true that baking powder can be toxic if consumed alone. When cooked however it is harmless.
- Dogs are known to suffer from obesity diabetes and poor oral health due to sugar consumption. This applies to humans as well! There is quite a bit of sugar in this recipe (as with most baked goods recipes). Be aware.
Cream of tartar
- The meringue is made with it. Interesting enough tartaric acid may be the reason why grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs. As a result a cream of tartar consumption may cause acute vomiting and kidney failure. Give this cake to your dog as a snack without the meringue.
Pandan bread includes the following ingredients:
Instant dry yeast
Ingredients that could cause problems (not discussed yet):
- Lactose intolerance is common in dogs. It is still a good idea to give milk in small quantities to those who are not. It is difficult for dogs to digest which causes diarrhea and vomiting.
Thats all I have to say!
Another potential ingredient you might encounter in goods made with pandan such as pandan waffles is:
- Alcohol is usually present in vanilla extracts. Despite the fact that there probably would not be enough alcohol in your cake or waffle to cause harm it would be safer to use an alcohol-free vanilla flavoring instead.
If we’re talking about ingredients lets consider some herbs we probably already have in our kitchens.
What are some of the best herbs to give dogs?
- Theres a good chance you have used rosemary in a soup or stew with chicken. Thanks to its antioxidant properties rosemary may protect against heart disease and cancer. Dogs suffering from digestive problems may benefit from its antimicrobial properties. In addition some evidence suggests it may be beneficial for anxious dogs as well. A bonus is that it is a natural flea repellant.
- Curries require turmeric so you should have some in the cupboard. Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory filled with antioxidants. It may help fight cancer arthritis gastrointestinal disorders and support liver health. Additionally its an excellent painkiller.
- You can use thyme to flavor everything from water to vegetables to seafood (sorry I had to). Your dogs digestive system may benefit from the antiseptic properties of thyme which is high in vitamins and antioxidants. This herb also has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Now that I have you rooting through your cupboard to see if any of these super-herbs are in there…
Leaves and herbs commonly used in cooking that are toxic to dogs
Donot rush to judgment. While these three herbs are common the ASPCA lists them as toxic so even at the right doses they may have positive effects.
- It is so popular right now to use the oil of oregano. Dogs and humans alike use it. According to the ASPCA vomiting and diarrhea can be side effects. Choose one thats specifically formulated for your dog if you plan to use it.
- You probably have parsley in your spice rack. The oil is known to have some benefits for dogs such as soothing sore stomachs and freshening breath. Nevertheless it may also cause photosensitization and make your dog more susceptible to sunburn and skin problems if consumed in sufficient quantities.
- A whole leaf may obstruct breathing if swallowed and vomiting and diarrhea are listed as possible side effects by the ASPCA.
Can dogs eat pandan leaves?
The same goes for whole pandan leaves cooked or not. You should probably avoid feeding your dog (or allowing your dog to eat) them whole. It could cause him to choke. Besides that pandan can be eaten occasionally as a snack.
There are many types of pandan. Cakes bread and waffles are made with fruit and leaves. Moreover it is made into a delicious cold snack – buko pandan.
Also if we are careful our dogs might enjoy it as a snack. The key is moderation. Pandan probably isnot something we eat every day – or ever will. Dogs should not eat it either.
However since pandan recipes look so delicious why not try some? If you’re going to bake add some pandan to reap the health benefits. Spice up your soups stews and curries with grassy coconutty almondy vanilla-like flavors.
Also do not be afraid to share with your dog every now and then.
If you want to read more about dog food tips read here: Dog Food Tips and Tricks.